Monday 11 March 2013

X-wing Battle Report

X-wing battle report
Last time I played Zach in X wing he stomped me. I did get some lucky shots off though. Today were actually to be switching roles he played rebels last time and hes goint to play imperials so I get a chance take the rebles today.

Rebels and the Empire face off again
[Ryan] I'll be using Biggs darklighter, Famous for being one of the named guys that Help destroy the Death Star the first movie. I think at a pretty good chance because five is a high pilots skill. Which means that all be likely moving last and shooting first. The X wing fighters have two shields so if I make some mistakes I've got some cushion. Unfortunately I will not be a will to use his special ability which means that he takes hits instead of other fighters that are on his team.

[Zach] Last time I played Ryan I was the good guys so I guess it's time to switch roles and I'll play Imperials. Ryan used an Academy pilot in our last game that really cleaned my clock so I figure I'll try and duplicate that luck and use it on my own team. Also I'm taking an Obsidian squadron pilot to round out my team and give me two tie fighters.
With pilot skills of one and three I'm pretty sure I'm going to move first and shoot last, but I'm hoping I can use my maneuverability and speed to get around behind Biggs and give Ryan a serious headache. Tie fighters have no shields, so I need to make sure not to put them in harms way needlessly, or this game will be over really quickly.

Zack set up the board with a scattering of asteroids around the board, we didn't get a chance to play with them last time. Maybe it'll add a new element to the game and make us have to think ahead a couple of turns. No this game can go on for a few turns that are very quick with nothing going on so we'll be bringing you the highlights.

Hello Zach! say hello to my little friend!
Turn one just saw us both plowing forward neither one of us is in range To shoot so looks like it's going to be a couple of turns of posturing. My best bet when faced with multiple photos is to try to isolate one. But Zack is going to be prepared for that So will have to try to guess what each other to try to pull in this next turn.

That's one of the big selling points on this game for me; the fact that you're always active. You're going to try to guess what the other guys can try to pull, and trap him so that you can fire at him and if possible make sure that he can't fireback.

Zack leads off with the Academy pilot on turn to draw him straight into front of my crosshairs. But he continues to flank with obsidian squadron pilot. He may just be using is cheaper craft to bait into a trap. Although it's totally got to work on me this time, it's too much over word to pass up an opportunity to take an early shot at the worst of the two pilots.

I get a decent roll to shoot but he easily dodges out-of-the-way as he takes his dodge action, I'm not going to waste my target lock this turn because even if I reroll the last die and get a hit his three dodges are still got to cancel my hits out.

Oh Noez!
Misjudging the distance by a fair bit Zach Gets me right in his crosshairs by doing a blast forward and sharp reverse, Which is what I was trying to get to him I thought he was going to turn to his right. Lucky I have the shields but I've a feeling that I'm going to be missing out on them fairly early

Not quite in rangement one as I had feared, Zack rolls his dice one comes up a hit, the other critical hit I better get really lucky, my dice roll they come up two dodges.







Lucky for Ryan, Biggs can dodge with the best of them.
Turn three Zack pulls his Academy pilot right in behind my X wing, In a textbook dogfighting maneuver my only chance is hopefully My higher pilot skill Allowing me to do some damage to his obsidian squad pilot, But I am concerned that I'm in such a close range band in my back arc there.

'I have you now!' attr; nameless academy pilot
My shots patter harmlessly off of his hull, return fire from the obsidian squad pilot do likewise, The Academy pilot strips one of my shields off with some very effective firing.Despite rolling all dodges he still had a bonus die for beings in such a close range.


















In a desperate bid to turn the tables knowing that his guys very maneuverable and Zack makes good use of that, I decided on a short left Bank. Which paid off because his craft blasted forward and reversed While his Academy pilot slid right up behind, While I was still in the academy pilots firing arc I was able to get close to the better pilot while he had a stress token and brought them into my close range band. Pay dividends causing to damage to the Imperial.






 Through a combination of guessing what the other guys could do second-guessing those thoughts and trying to outsmart our clever plans Zach and I both ended up with knowing each other's firing arcs. The next turn it will be crucial.

a comedy of errors.
Zack swung into my flank and stripped off my last shield, And dealt damage to boot. My gamble didn't really pay off because not only was I not in anyone's fireguard I was actually out of range and shoot at the Academy pilot that I still have a target lock on.

All pilots blasting forward getting awfully crowded In outer space, I managed to bring my craft right nose to nose almost to Zacks Academy pilot letting the lasers fly bring him down to one final point on his academy pilot, Position of severely damaged hopefully all that's left is to clean up the chaff.

Here's the set up...
Biggs lets loose before the academy pilot takes his shot.
Expertly dodging the obsidian squad pilot, Biggs maneuvers out-of-the-way of his blasts apparently his shots were just the force Biggs down into the crosshairs of the Academy pilot Who promptly rolls a hit and a critical hit. Blinding Him, And coming up with no dodges on my dice. Game over victory to the imperials.

That was a great game, Each turn was interesting this time. I played a couple games before there's turns and turns of posturing and maneuvering before you can get a clean shot. Even with just the starter set ships We have a lot of maneuvering and Cat and mousing around. Congrats to Zach, he played quite well. I'll have to get my revenge soon.

That was an awesome game. Ryan is always a fun opponent, and he kept me guessing most of the game. My ultimate plan of outmaneuvering Ryan worked, although my TIEs both were pretty banged up. That lucky Academy pilot did his job, and did the most damage to Biggs. My Obsidian Squad pilot helped out too, and having 2 craft is always better than 1. Good game Ryan, I look forward to the inevitable rematch

No comments:

Post a Comment